Thursday, September 17, 2015

GIVER OR TAKER (Part 1)

Welcome to Women of Valour which is about
YOU
experiencing your freedom in Christ, being set free,
experiencing the love of God, and opening your blinded eyes
Isaiah 61:1

           I am reading Audacious by Beth Moore, she asked a question about our perception of Jesus. "Do you see HIM as a giver or a taker?" I paused and actually stopped to answer the question.  I used to think He was “a taker” but now I see HIM as “the Giver”. Then as I continued to read, she made a statement: “How we feel about Jesus has a dramatic effect on how we feel about other people.” So, I had to agree with her based upon my own life. You may feel the same way. I will share my thoughts on the question as well as the statement. Prayerfully, something you read will bless you and encourage you to a walk closer in your relationship with Jesus Christ.

Do I see Jesus as a giver or a taker? I saw Jesus as my Savior. He had saved me from going to the fires and brimstone of hell. He died on the cross for my sins which would make me feel really sad especially during Easter holiday season. But, that was the extent of what He had done for me. I was still living and feeling unloved, chaotic, unwanted, less than, inadequate, etc. Like I said, in the ‘Viewpoint of God’ post, I was introduced to the God of the Law and Discipline not Love and Grace. My messed up viewpoint was of God and Jesus. I actually saw them as two separate people. Jesus was my Savior who has done a couple of things for me. But God, as my Father, was a judge and judgmental. He was the parent you did not want to interact with. He only saw my wrongs and let the hammer down every time I sinned.

TESTIMONY: I saw myself and other people as takers so Jesus and God were takers as well. God was all about rules and regulations which took away my fun. I was going to hell for everything. He wanted to take away my fun: sleeping around, clubbing, drinking, friendships, etc. He wanted me to live “boxed in”. I was a Christian because I had accepted Jesus as my personal Savior at one time and then more times than I can count. I served in my church. I was trying to be a “GOOD” Christian. But, I just could not seem to get my life right. People that I wanted to help me wouldn’t instead they would take from me without depositing anything. The ones I knew were not good for me were the ones that seemed to give. My life just seems to be going down the wrong path. I would ask myself: “Am I a Christian? Have I really accepted Jesus as my Savior? Especially, when everything I did seemed to turn out wrong. Everything I tried seemed to fail. BUT GOD My Giver stepped into my life and started to show me who HE truly was instead of who I believed HIM to be. HE showed me that I am a child of God and so are you. (Galatians 3:26) I had to choose to believe it and so do you. Choose to believe it today.

You may be able to identify with some or all of my testimony. If you can then God wants to deliver you from living a defeated or unfulfilled life as His Child. You may be making the same statement that I was. “There has got to be more to it than this.”  Or you may not have taken the step of accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior because of your taker viewpoint of God.  

I am writing today to let you know that there is much, much, much more than this. Today, can be the day that God opens our blinded eyes to see HIM as the Giver of life, love, blessings, peace, joy, and freedom in HIM. God wants each one of us to experience HIM personally for ourselves. God gave HIS Son Jesus to GIVE HIMSELF to you and me. (John 3:16) [To be continued]

Prayer: Holy Spirit, show me how I see Jesus. Today, I choose to see Jesus as the Giver of my life. Help me to stop trying to be a good Christian and just accept the fact that I am a child of God.

Question: How do you see Jesus?
Is HE a taker or giver?


I pray something you read touched your heart to walk closer to God. 
Please share a comment or email me privately
Womenofvalour15@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment